Re: [Debconf-team] Unfinished tasks from DebConf6

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 14:55 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I think the vision and goals you had with last years report are (largely)
> still valid today. And what (if anything) is different, we'll see on the way,
> wont we?

Yes, that's right, we will notice what's different along the way.

The following is not directed at Holger, but are general comments which
came to mind as I read his comment:

One way of doing things is to just start by a random action and then
observe the result, and apply another random action on what appears to
be the bad parts. Repeat until all the bad parts have turned into good
parts or disappeared.

I don't believe that leads to results that most people are happy with. I
work best when I have some kind of goal in mind. Something which allows
me to evaluate, based on experience, how long it will take to reach the
goal, what resources I need to get there, and how far off I eventually
ended up (which allows me to add to my experience and become better the
next time), and so on.

It's also about working as a group. Taking the time to define and agree
on a vision may sound like the most boring and irrelevant thing in the
world, but it's very important. Before doing that, the members of the
group will not really know each other enough, and time will be spent
repeatedly working out basic things instead of focusing on the actual
tasks. It won't be a group, it will be a set of individuals, working
randomly on their own.

My wish is to work as part of a group, and that's why I'm constantly
asking people to join the process at the visionary stage.

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>