[Debconf-team] Editorial changes to debconf.org, debianday.org and addition of debconf.net and some outage

Hi team,

recently (8 August) the domain debconf.org would have expired, if it
would not get renewed asap. Jonathan Oxer, as the previous owner of this
domain, did renew it, so we have it secure for another year. As we were
already working on the domain, Jon asked me to move it to another
registrar, to get him out of the loop.[1] I would like to take
this opportunity to thank Jon for his long time (since 2002 at least)
support for DebConf, providing the domain and for long years also the
hosting for it.

The future of the domain is also already cleared. One of our last years
sponsors, Gandi[2], a french domain registrar, happens to like Debian
and DebConf and already offered free registrar services for our
domains.  We[3] are already in contact with them, they are very supportive
and already prepared everything neccessary to host our domains for us.
I am currently dealing with Jon and Gandi to get the domain moved.

You may have noticed the complete outage of debconf.org on the 8 August.
That happened as the current registrar (Tucows) set it to "Client Hold"
for an unknown reason, which killed it completly out of the DNS for
.org. JOn fixed it as quick as possible, which got us back up on the
9th. The machines were all fine, the DNS was not.

The debianday.org domain is also in the progress of getting transferred
to Gandi now. Since December 2005 it was registered for us from
BrainFood Inc. in the US (the same that host master.debian.org, yes) and
I would like to thank Ean for the support from him and his business. We
moved the domain to Gandi to have it all in one single place, which for
example makes administration easier. Or a hand-over, should I ever
decide to resign.

I also mentioned debconf.net in the subject, so lets talk about
this. That basically was just a thought I once had, and I mentioned to
Gandi that we *may* come up with debconf.net somewhere in the
future. Well, Gandi was faster and promptly registered the Domain for
us, so we now have the pleasure to use it. My intention basically was to
provide something similar to the debian.net domain: Currently all new
services debconf.org hosts are first setup by an admin, then looked at
From the users and maybe they are useful (luckily they were up to
now). And if an admin doesn't get to install something - you are lost. So
having the debconf.net everyone with an account in our userdir-ldap[4]
could start something below the .net and find out if its useful.
Or, with the current plans to start way earlier with the following years
of DebConfs, take the debconf.net as the official domain for the year
after the current upcoming one, so they have some place to start with
which is using the same facilities like it will use when it then gets
moved to debconf.org.
But - what do you think?

So, as a small summary, I would like to say thank you to our former domain
sponsors Jonathan Oxer and Ean Schuessler (Brainfood Inc.) for their
support during the past years and welcome our new domain sponsor Gandi.net.

[1] Up to now every change in the domain needed to go through Jon, which
    added delays (due to very different TZs for example).
[2] http://www.gandi.net/
[3] Neil, from the sponsors team, and myself as admin.
[4] Not hard to get. Prod me via RT and have at least a little reason. :)

--
bye Joerg
Die Dicke zum Spiegel: Spieglein, Spieglein an der Wand, wer ist die