[Debconf-team] Re: report sarajevo

Let's try to address this to the right list, instead of just bouncing it.
Apologies if this manages to come through double.

----- Forwarded message from Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> -----

From: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
To: debconf-team@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: report sarajevo
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:03:19 -0700

> We had to hand in IDs to access the compound (since it is
> Saudi-Arabic terretory).

Given how much loud discussion there has been in the past about the US being
an unsuitable venue for a DebConf, I'm surprised that I haven't seen any
comment on this point.  Is it really true that the cultural center is not
just administered by the Saudi government, but considered Saudi territory?
The latter means that, while in the cultural center, all conference
attendees would be subject to Saudi legal authority, which I consider
unacceptable and sufficient grounds for not attending DebConf.

No offense intended to the hospitality of the Bosnian Linux community or the
Saudis who administer this cultural center, but Saudi Arabia is not exactly
known for its tolerance of others' cultural values, and I don't intend to
put myself in the sights of a random visiting hard-line functionary with
something to prove back home.