Re: [Debconf-team] Sarajevo report

Hi!

* Andreas Schuldei <andreas@schuldei.org> [060704 20:58]:
> This was a problem in Helsinki (and to a lesser extend in
> Oaxtepec). Looking at how well the helsinki debconf turned out
> this did not have a huge impact on the bottom line.

Well, even if you didn't noticed any huge impact, people explicitly told
us, that distances were to big.  Before we got there, we agreed that
distances were to big and that it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

And yes, I think many people stayed this year in the hacklab, because
the distance was just to big.

> So we need to put this "split up" danger into perspective: in my
> option it would be considerably more dangerous to split up the
> evenings then the days.

Yes, any splitt up is not nice; in the evenings even more.

> Actually, with streams becoming better i predict that more and more
> people will stay in the hacklabs anyway.

No, I don't think so.  Even if we could offer reliable streams (which
AFAIK the video team considers as "optional bonus"), people would still
visit the talks in real life; since you can e.g. ask questions more
directly, ask for others opinions, do discussions with, chat with your
neighbour about the topic.  Even if we are geeks, most of them will
still like to do these things.

> > We thought about some work arounds, like an additional hacklab in the
> > culture center,
> and serving some lunch in the culture center's cantine

... which was our idea and the local team didn't liked to ask them about
that.

> > but I consider that to be a bad idea, since this would
> > split the conference even further up.
> those workarounds could defuse the "distance" problem pretty
> well, imho. regarding the "split" problem see above.

I don't think the workarounds will work very well...

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander