Re: Answers from IBM and HP Finland

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:59:48AM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

> we do get problems when the openoffice and glibc maintainers
> start building on the same machine, even if it has lots (i think
> we had 6G in oslo) of ram. so a lot of ram would be nice. two
> machines would help, too.
>
> to have both opteron and xeon might be good, eventhough x86 is
> still the dominant architecture. a modest raid in each would be
> nice, too.
>
> is this what you were hoping to hear?

Hi,

Yes, this is helpful. So if I'd ask for, say, one HP DL580 (4-way Xeon) and
one DL585 (4-way Opteron) loaded with 16G RAM and four 146G disks each, we'd
be happy? Or do you mean two of both architectures? At least one of both
should be reasonably easy for them to provide I think.

They do of course have external enclosures for a larger number of disks too,
the main box takes only four.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl580/specifications-g2.html
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl585/specifications.html

AJT