Re: Server location

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 02:39:15PM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

> > Is one of these rooms reserved for the servers or where will they be
> > located? At least the HP machines make quite significant noise.
>
> no, all the rooms are stacked with people. if we have good
> alternatives where to put them we can move them elsewhere.
>
> how much Watts do the servers have? will a normal room's air
> conditioning be able to cope?

The HP servers: rating 500 watts for the DL145, 800 watts for the DL585.
Actual power consumption perhaps 250 and 300 watts. Normal room should be
okay for those two, but not for 5+ machines.

IBM Power5 box: don't know. Would prefer to have a reasonably cool room for
this as it's higher end hardware.

I have an alternative to locate a few servers (e.g. those HP's) at Helsinki
Institute of Physics premises about 1 km away. Just discussed it today
actually to have a fallback option just in case. They'd prefer to put them
in a 10 Mbit/s switch to have a physical bandwidth limit, so it'd be fair
for compile boxes but not video streaming and the like. Something like 4-8
real IP addresses, ssh+http+https+high ports in (negotiable if we really
need something else), no restrictions outbound.

I could get a key (I've worked there before) and there are at least one
happy Debian user present most of the weekdays (and the main sysadmin again
from July 9th) but no physical access for other DebConf people.

At my workplace at CSC we have plenty of room and no shortage of bandwidth
but stricter security requirements concerning foreign machines / accounts so
I expect negotiating server space there would be more difficult. If it looks
really necessary I'll try, they're positive towards this kind of events in
general.

AJT

--
Arto Teräs <ajt@iki.fi> --- See http://ajt.iki.fi for contact info