Re: Welcome everybody

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:21:32 +0200
Jesus Climent <jesus.climent@hispalinux.es> wrote:

> Hi everybody, and welcome to the DebConf5 organizing team ML.
>
> Being this the first mail I send to the list, I will try to make it short.
>
> My name is Jesus Climent, and I am a Debian Developer, in part responsible for
> Debconf5 hopefully happening in Helsinki.
>
> Right now, I am quite full of idea, which have to mature over time, but some
> of them include:
>
> * getting HUT involved in DebConf5 for some obvious (and non-) reasons:
>   + housing facilities, with network access
>   + wireless in the entire campus
>   + housing-to-conferences distance lower than 10min walk
>   + party places (smokie, rantasauna,...)
>   + sport facilities
>   + computer rooms already organized for BOFs, worshops, ...
>   + more here...
> * getting Nokia involved in the sponsoring, among others:
>   + SOT
>   + F-Secure ?
>   + more here...
> * Organie it during July: starting friday, week, weekend, week and weekend,
>   ending on monday. First and last weekends are housing-only days, so that
>   people can come and go, and the weekend in the middle an organized activity
>   could be arranged (Tallin, or similar). Talks would be arranged from friday
>   on, having the previous four days for debcamp and from sunday on for
>   deb+camp+conf (same way as it was arranged in Brazil).
> * Debconf5 needs an {START,END}-OF-DEB* days since this year people did not
>   know when it was officially starting/ending.
>
> I will start approaching HUT in the next days, calculations based on 200
> people attending (if we get IBM sponsoring more people could get some
> sponsoring for their trips).
>
> Please, more ideas to talk about, here!

Hello, everybody.

I'm Michelle, one of the organizers from Debconf4 at Brazil. I'm not a DD yet.

I hope that I can help you to improve the Debconf with the things that I learned this year and also, join Debconf5.

There are a lot of things that we can do better at Helsinki, but one that I really missed was more tipical foods, customs, etc. We were at a hotel, with a restaurant and it gave us more time to work in another things, but less flexiblity. People expect to know more about the country.

The vegans had a bit of troubles with food: The cooker insisted to do food with meat, just to give a taste and one day, he forgot to remove the meat of the beans. :(

Also, a lot of people got sicky due to the climate + closed rooms and the kind of blanket.

There is some nice things at Debconf4 that will be nice to see at Debconf5:

* female t-shirts
* transport from the airport to the conference/hosting place
* accessibility to people with special needs

etc...

Best regards,

Michelle Ribeiro