Re: Call for bids for DebConf24

Hi Matusz,

On 10/29/23 00:06, matusz wrote:
On rhe other hand I would think twice to organize debconf24 in other places than Haifa. There is plenty of time (9-10 months) until debconf 24 Haifa would happen.

When we discussed, with a few friends, about Debconf in Israel in 2018 in Brazil (in private), I raised the concern that in this area of the world, nobody can forecast when a new episode of the conflict starts. This is a very serious security concern, which even in 2018, lead me to conclude it wasn't safe to plan for a travel in Israel. I feel very sorry that I was right ... :(

Even if there's some kind of peace again, or at least, if the conflict becomes dormant once more, there's never a guarantee that it will last during Debconf. I don't think it's reasonable to take such a risk. I very much prefer if we decide *NOW* to go somewhere safer.

BTW, I am, and will always be, on the side of peace. All of this is very sad, and I hope that I will see durable peace in this land before I die.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: I carefully avoided any word that may start a debate about the current event. That should, IMO, stay away from Debian. I do expect everyone else to do the same. If you want to have debates, there are other more appropriate places than the Debian project.