Re: DebConf22: Call for keys for keysigning in Prizren, Kosovo

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 05:39:53AM +0200, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:28 AM Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org> wrote:
>

> > Most of you are aware that the keyserver network is currently in a
> > quite weak status; please ensure we can find your updated keys at
> > several different keyservers (at least, by uploading them); I suggest
> > you try something like the following:
> >
> >     $ export MY_KEY=0x2404C9546E145360 # Naturally, your key goes here
> >     $ for i in pgpkeys.eu pgp.surf.nl pgp.pm keyserver.ubuntu.com
> > the.earth.li
> >     > do
> >     >     gpg --keyserver $i --send-key $MY_KEY
> >     > done
> >

> Here are my public keys:
> https://cloud.fs.al/s/wrer7jXfF4EtZot/download/9EAA95B4E9731B6B757ACD629229692B9A5D205A.pubkey
> https://cloud.fs.al/s/m4GSibeESJA3enk/download/18931AB4720C1EA3C28B95B3775FB44C0C6AD08D.pubkey
>
> I'd suggest that we try a keysigning party without keyservers this time. It
> should not be very difficult.
> The issue is not whether the keyservers will be up during the conference or
> not, rather it is that the keyserver model seems to be broken and should be
> avoided/abandoned.
> About the WKD, if it does not support well keysigning and WoT, maybe it
> should be improved to support them.
> The ideal solution, in my opinion, would be to start using self-sovereign
> identity, but we are not there yet.
>
> To sign public keys without keyservers, as far as I can understand, the
> steps would be like these:
> 1. The coordinator collects all the public keys of the participant in a
> keyring and shares this keyring with all the participants (Gunnar has
> already mentioned that he is going to do this).
> 2. Each participant verifies physically some other participants and marks
> their fingerprints on the list, in order to sign them later.
> 3. Using the shared keyring and his private key, he signs each verified
> key, exports the key, encrypts it with the signed public key, and sends it
> by attachment to the corresponding owner.
> 4. The owner of the signed key decrypts it (which also verifies that he
> owns this key), and imports the signature on his key.
> 5. The owner of the key may publish the updated key, which includes the new
> signatures. Re-publishing can be done by WKD, by uploading it somewhere,
> sending it by attachment, etc.

Your step 1 imposes an arbitrary amount of work on the person running
the keysigning, as they have to manually download keys from random
locations, instead of running a simple for loop over the fingerprints
collected from the DebConf22 registration data to fetch them from
keyservers.