Re: [DebConf Scedule change] "Let's talk about the elephant in the room" DebConf20 in Israel session

On 2019-07-27 17:01 +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-07-27 at 08:27 -0400, micah anderson wrote:
> > Ansgar <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
> > The BDS movement is widely described as antisemitic.  Why should we
> > > care about it?
> >
> > No, it is not widely described as antisemitic, it is anti-zionist. There
> > is a difference.
>
> BDS is widely described as antisemitic even when you care about some
> difference.

Perhaps so, but a big part of the difficulty round this issue is
people calling things which aren't (like thinking the settler movement
is deeply unjust) 'anti-semitic'. It makes it almost impossible to have
a sensible conversation around the subject.

Boycotting Israel, or at least settlers, seems sensible to me for the
same reasons that it was sensible against South Africa. And holding
debconf there seems like a bad plan for the same reason that a lot of
bands got abuse for playing Sin City in the 1980s.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/