Your DPL is (mostly) friendly; feel free to chat

I realize that being blind makes it a bit hard to figure out when I can
be approached without interrupting.
You can't try to make ey contact.

If I'm in a hack lab with no headphones or headphones only in one ear,
then by all means  assume that I'm open to being interrupted.  (Use
common sense if I'm engaged with someone else.  If we're clearly
laughing and having fun at reasonable volume, it's probably fine to join
in.  If we're busy discussing something,  then use appropriate judgment)

If I'm standing around on my own, again I'm probably available.

Email is slightly better than IRC for trying to schedule time.