Re: Questions after talks at DebConf (idea)

> > A good moderator can help address that (you can get halfway there by
> > just reminding people "ask questions, don't make statements or comments;
> > make sure your question benefits the whole room".
>
> That is a very strange point! I am more than grateful for comments that
> are NOT questions, pointing me to different work, previous work, other
> approaches, failures.

I'm also very welcoming to other things that aren't questions, they
are usually good points and I get to comment on that after if I want
to.

> What is the point of restricting one to questions? I mean, yes, one can
> rephrase everything as a question:
>         "What is your work's relation to XXXX?"
> but that's not the point.
>
> Why only questions are considered good and comments/remarks not is
> something that escapes my understanding - and experience - completely.

The times when I saw the "please don't go to the mic if it's not a
question" was when there were women speaking, and I think I understand
why they would want that and I'm ok with it*. But yes, It shouldn't be
a general rule, just if the speaker want to (but I don't think anybody
suggested being a general rule anyway).

* Not that I'm ok only with this specific case, I'm trying to give an
example on why somebody would not want non-questions and why this
wasn't a general case.

--
Samuel Henrique <samueloph>