Re: Questions after talks at DebConf (idea)

Hi Samuel,

> > About embarrassing behaviour from the audience: First, this barely ever
> > happens, [...]
>
> I completely agree this all of this, and that's what I explain to our
> PhD students. But them actually believing it is another matter.

There is a huge gap between "what I think speaking at a conference
might be like" (ie. insane levels of nerves, you're picked apart on
every word you say, you will be heckled, nobody will like you,
questions will be hostile, professional reputations are easily ruined,
totally not for me, etc) ... and what it /actually/ is like to speak
(ie. nerve-inducing for sure, but actually not too awful at the end of
the day).

As you imply, facts or strong reassurances somehow do not really speak
to a first-timers concerns.

Regards,

--
      ,''`.