Re: Suggestions, questions and concerns about DebConf19?

On 08/11/2018 01:15 PM, Judit Foglszinger wrote:
> It's weird to compromise the privacy of all attendees,
> because something bad could happen or someone could commit a crime.

They do the same on aircraft and most people seem okay with simply
because you have to weigh your loss of privacy against the win of
safety on board.

> Debconf is not known for the high number of criminals among it's attendees,
> rather the opposite.

I was not assuming that at all. But the thing is, you are never able to
see into someone's mind so it doesn't hurt to have at least some sort
of suspiciousness.

> If data collection and insisting on real names would start because of a single
> incident, that "could have been avoided", that would be the same kind of
> overreaction, that governments got used to nowadays.
> This shouldn't be copied by us.

Lots of western countries have had mandatory registration with the authorities
for years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_registration

The US is rather an exception when it comes to this.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz