Re: ♥ Consensus & temperature settings (Re: warmer hacklabs)

On 2018-07-25 23:39, Wookey wrote:
> On 2018-07-25 22:49 +0800, Thomas Kuiper wrote:
>
>> btw I never turn off aircons at night... recooling those walls next day would take more energy.
> Physics suggests that this is extremely unlikely to be true, unless
> there is something very non-linear about the cooling system.
Some variables if you want to do a physics equation:
- its hot and humid here in summer, even at night.
- Buildings unfortunately aren't properly insulated (humidity moves in easy).
- Its mostly about humidity not heat. There are colder, cloudy days that have more humidity.
- There's other factors of course (if the A/C is smart enough and how it does its cooling cycles)
All those factors aren't "linear".

This is a great summary too:
https://www.quora.com/If-we-turn-off-our-AC-at-night-and-turn-it-on-again-in-the-morning-are-we-wasting-energy

But most important, do what makes you comfortable... :-)

Thomas