Re: DC18 - Currency

On 2018-07-18 01:51, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>>> Expect no help from the counter.
>> Just find an ATM with the VISA logo.
> As someone with extensive travel experience, I can say it's not quite
> that simple.  In a number of countries I've visited, there have been
> ATMs with the VISA logo that would not work with a card issued in some
> other country.  [...]
> Regards,
>
> Bdale
Yes, I had issues especially in Japan (where many banks have no foreign offices) but issues in Singapore and China as well...

Taiwan was never a big problem (disclaimer: I live here since over a decade).
Some notes:
- Many ATM's support European "Maestro" cards.
- VISA debit and credit cards are supported
- Mastercard debit/credit cards are supported.
- You can find ATM's in almost every FamilyMart, 7-11, 24 hour a day to withdraw cash. Interface is English.
- Some banks require you to enable foreign cash transactions before you travel.
- Cash at airport is possible, you'll see "Megabank" (odd name right?)
  and Bank of Taiwan (both used to be the only national banks).
Their rates differ very slightly. You can find their rates here:
https://rate.bot.com.tw/xrt?Lang=en-US (English)
https://wwwfile.megabank.com.tw/other/bulletin02_02.asp (sorry only Chinese).
They both allow you to negotiate a little if the amount is above 1000 USD.
Since banking is pretty centralized in Taiwan rates are generally good (low spread).
You'll need your passport. Note that banks in Taiwan usually only offer over the counter
money exchange between 9:10 and 15:10.
- Many taxis can accept credit cards these days.
If you want to go by taxi to Hsinchu (cheapest is bus), you may book & prepay it here:
http://www.airportfrstcar.com/index.aspx (site is somewhat in English...)
- Don't change at the hotel. They are the only ones that will rip you off.
- Taiwan has too many (over 30) banks, so the network of ATM's is very dense.
There are only a few rural ATM's that don't have any English.
- Final note: I've never been cheated on exchange rate (or anything else) in Taiwan
and people are more than helpful here.

Safe travels!
Thomas