Re: [Debconf-discuss] suggestion to add visa details needed in the web-form itself

in-line :-

On 07/12/2016, Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@cateee.net> wrote:
> Hello Shirish

Hello Cate,

<snipped>

> I’m not sure it will work.
>
> 1-
>
> visa@ requires some mail exchange to establish the purpose of visa: There
> are many “random” requests from user who have absolutely no idea what it is
> Debian or Free Software. Such users check conference calendars and send
> request of invitation to all of them.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding what you are saying. Are you saying that
"random" people send requests straight to visa@d.o. or are you saying
that people register without knowing or having a stake in how/what
happens to free software .

If you are talking about the latter i.e. "random registrations" , that
is completely understandable and believable as well.

I don't think that part can be automated in any way.

All and any tricky questions could be easily defeated by a good
hacker/slacker who is able to frame good search-engine queries and get
away with it

Deserving people/candidates who might not have the best web skills but
have the passion may be left behind, so current methods seem the only
way.

> Additionally, on past we started the process in the web-interface and
> continued via email (for special needs, etc.), but it has show that it
> doesn’t work and it cause too much extra work on organisation side. People
> tend not to reply to emails, or just ignoring us. So we must let a lot of
> time before to close the “ticket”.

Actually I have been partly at fault (not being able to reply to few
emails) but this was completely due to Google's inability to
distinguish between genuine and spam mails especially after doing
filters. The situation with most free webmail providers is similar
from what I experienced and have had exchanges with other  people.
Many people may not want to disclose/use company affiliated mail
addresses for any number and hence use webmail id's as well.

> I would assume that for @visa it is the same. Attendees who requires special
> consideration (and a lot of work to find the real intent), really needs to
> make the first step manually, to show some minimal interest.
>
> 2-
>
> Privacy. Things set in our conference system is readable by a lot of orga
> people. Visa is choose as a very small group, to handle such personal
> informations (like passport copies).

This I had perceived.

> Adding such information will require much more effort to us, to implement
> finer permissions.

True.

> Note: now we don’t have anymore the problem: although the visa procedure is
> different every year (because of different country laws), now it will not
> add debconf-specific special fields. (but we were not so good either on
> other fields, unfortunately).

Could you be more specific by what you meant above ?

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल