Re: [Debconf-discuss] clothes, dress code for debconf

Hi shirish

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have made a link for clothing in debconf in logistics. I tried to
> figure out if there was something in either the debconf-discuss or
> debconf-team archives but was only able to dig out past threads,
> nothing about the current event. And I don't want to blindly re-use
> the instructions which were there in some other event as local culture
> and people who are hosting us would probably be better to guide us.

I don't think this is particularly necessary, but maybe a link, or
point somewhere that says not to worry is good. :)

> Can somebody share some guidelines for debconf. I know it is and can
> be a touchy subject as clothes are pretty much a combination of
> personal styles and the culture where we come from. But if there any
> guidelines, would be good to know and share. For Indians, for example
> I can share that it probably would be a good idea to have either thick
> cotton t-shirts just to make sure that you don't get cold. Have no
> idea about t-shirts, three-fourths, shorts, tank tops, trousers and
> all the different clothes which make a person unique.
>
> Looking for guidance, will also help in making correct choices, both
> for the conference as well as going out into the city.

DebConf is a 'anything goes' conference, you can be as formal or
informal as you like, you'd probably get away with being naked too.
Most attend in 'geek gear': cargo shorts and a T-shirt, but it's
really up to you, wear what is comfortable and reflects your person.
Some like to dress fancy, really, anything goes. As was discussed on
the team T-shirt thread, natural fibres are more odour absorbent and
keeps one comfortable for longer. DebConf days are never-ending and
full of concentration and activity, so dress for that.

As for South African culture, we're an odd combination of prudish and
open... For the sake of the conference, you could still get away with
most things, but if you lived here it may eventually wear you down.
The more affluent areas of Cape Town, which is where the conference
will be held, is probably the most liberal place in (South) Africa,
and anything will be embraced, clothing wise. I guess covering up a
bit more is respectful to the more traditional people, but as for
colours and textures, and styles, anything goes. Especially if
accompanied by a warm smile!

Weather wise, T-shirts are invaluable. It can get cold, but more often
than not it's a balmy 15 - 20 degrees Celsius, sunny and windless -
perfect working weather! When it's cold it's a type of wet, muggy
cold. I would suggest layers of thinner, 'undershirt' / T-shirty
materials, a light fleece-type thing or jersey, maybe a bigger jacket
or windbreaker and then a scarf and beanie does a lot of good, rather
than one piece of bulk clothing (because then you'll either be too hot
or too cold and never just right).

Hope this helps, if so please add to the wiki.