Re: [Debconf-discuss] hardware which runs Debian or a blend or a sub-set, debian blends, gaming on open day/week-end.

Paul Wise wrote:
> Debian doesn't support mobile devices because Linux mainline doesn't
> support them and probably never will until the mobile device upgrade
> cycle starts slowing down.

That may be true of /mainstream/ mobile devices.  But the Nokia N900
shipped in 2009 with a Debian-derived OS, and even this year I see
recent commits to mainline Linux kernel and debian-installer for that
device.  If it's possible to run pure Debian on these devices now, that
may be the sort of thing that Shirish wanted to showcase?

Jonas mentioned Openmoko and GTA04 already.  The Pyra handheld (with LTE
modem) by Dragonbox likely won't ship until after DebConf16, but the OS
being developed for it is a very clean Debian armhf rootfs.  Maybe
someone could bring a PocketCHIP to DebConf, if those ship anytime soon.

Before having an N900, I had a Sharp Zaurus clam-shell handheld (which
is not a phone), but pure Debian could be installed on that too IIRC.
Debian has for a long time been a good alternative OS for handhelds, it
is just rare that they ship with 'pure' Debian preinstalled (for even a
quite liberal definition of pure).

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain