Re: [Debconf-discuss] Bicycling + Swimming this evening

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:31:38AM +0200, Florian Schlichting wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 04:00:52PM -0400, Molly de Blanc wrote:
> > What's the verdict on swimming in the river?
>
> mind that what's immediately behind the youth hostel is not the river
> Neckar, but the Neckarkanal. With its rather high piling walls and
> commercial shipping traffic it is probably not advisable to try swimming
> there. Things might be different for the Altneckar on the opposite shore
> (next to Mannheimer Straße), but it is about 1000m to go and I haven't
> been there.

Today I have seen two people coming out the river here

   http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=49.41176&mlon=8.68160#map=18/49.41176/8.68160

The were using a shower afterwards mounted there and thus it seems to be
officially accepted to go swimming in Neckar at this place.  Thomas
Lange told me that on Sunday there were even lifeguards near to this
spot.

I *usually* jump in any water that's fluid but stayed away for the
following reasons:

  1. This link
      http://www.rnz.de/nachrichten/metropolregion_artikel,-Gesundheitsamt-raet-vom-Baden-im-Neckar-ab-_arid,112400.html
     is a hint from the public health department of Baden-Würtemberg that
     considers swimming in Neckar "not advisiable" due to a higher
     concentration of faecal germs than the German limit.  You must know
     that these limits are possibly quite harsh and for healthy adults
     there might be no problem.

  2. I was observing a barrage a bit more upstream and was looking at
     some small pieces of foam.  It looked not dangerous but also not
     really "inviting" to jump in.

I for myself will not exclude that I might go for a swimm in Neckar
at this place at some later point in time.  For DebCamp I think my
time is well spent to cycle to the said pool.

Hope these data will enable you making an educated decision.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de