Re: [Debconf-discuss] Query about reaching DJH from Heidelberg train station by foot

Florian Schlichting wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 11:10:08PM +0530, Amey Abhyankar wrote:
> > 1 route is via 'Vangerowstraße'. Yes that narrow bridge [from Google Earth view]
> > I hope pedestrians can walk over that bridge & is open for public.
>
> yes, that bridge can be crossed on foot, and I haven't seen the gate
> between the river path and the youth hostel grounds locked (but haven't
> looked late at night).

I walked to DJH from Heidelberg HbF, via the Ernst-Walz road bridge
instead, simply because it was easier to find (there are a few signs
pointing in that directory marked 'Zoo').

That footbridge (or "wehrsteg" on OSM) looks passable on foot, with
some steps at each end.

The cyclepath is quite narrow, and some of it not paved well to wheel
a suitcase along it.  At night I got creeped out by things scurring in
the undergrowth, near the zoo.

The gate to the back of DJH was locked when I arrived Sunday
night, so had to walk much further and then around the sports
pitches to get back to it.

I also arrived at DJH just before a thunderstorm of doom, so be prepared
for something like that if you're walking in only a t-shirt...

Regards.
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org