Re: [Debconf-discuss] remote participation in DebConf

also sprach Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> [2014-09-16 18:53 +0200]:
> I think this is something that people simply forget to do (myself
> included) or find it hard to do since people participating
> remotely usually have no physical presence.

It also prevents those people who act as proxies from fully
participating, which is why I found myself *chosing* not to be on
IRC during some sessions.

> Maybe mix remote participants on WebRTC into the local speaker
> output and stream?

How are we going to ensure that this does not disturb the speaker?

> Messages from IRC could be translated to audio using one of the
> various text-to-speech engines we have in Debian.

This would probably be more laughable than useful, don't you think?

> Make some telepresence hardware running Debian for remote attendees?

Fundamentally, this is a great idea, but what a job… I was on the
technical team of http://tokyolectures.org/, which did telepresence
across seven universities in 2004. We had resources available that
DebConf does not, at least not yet. Technology has advanced, surely,
but there is still no presence and even in business meetings with
equipment valued at tens of thousands of Euros nowadays, it's still
very hard to be effective and requires *a lot* of discipline.

So yes, let's do it, but this will take a couple of years to get
right. Who's in? ;)

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf14: Portland, OR, USA:   http://debconf14.debconf.org