Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] DebConf event sign-ups: Cheese & Wine, Day Trip

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 04:12:09PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Patty Langasek wrote:
> > I earnestly don't think people have been warned about this enough. :)

> Thanks for the info. Since it's a loop and has the hardest part
> apparently right at the beginning, I hope anyone who has over-estimated
> their ability to do it in the 3 hours available could turn back well
> before the half-way point, still see the top of the falls and
> "many outstanding waterfalls" and make it back to the bus in time. :)

The best of the waterfall views are past the halfway point. ;)  But there
are at least some things to be seen before then, and yes, there is certainly
the option to turn back.

We are aiming to split the four hiking groups at least roughly by hiking
speed, which should help for reaching consensus within the group about such
things.

> By the way, is the Multnomah falls bridge re-opened? Wikipedia has it
> still closed.

Yes, it reopened before the Memorial Day weekend as scheduled.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:11:11PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> [2014-08-17 06:08 +0200]:
> > The Hike is expected to be an intense hike. It's described by people who
> > hike regularly as "moderately difficult", 3 hour, 7.7km hike with a rise of
> > 470m.  It is recommended for hikes of this length and intensity to have at
> > least a liter of water with you, so please be sure you're prepared.  This
> > hike will also require hiking shoes.

> Can you please define "hiking shoes"? What terrain are we dealing
> with? Unpaved roads? Stones, rocks, mud, glaciers? ;)

Terrain includes paved paths, gravel trails, and natural stone.  It's steep
both going up and coming down (note that the entire loop /averages/ a 12%
grade), and I would not attempt it without good hiking shoes/boots.  If you
don't know what "good hiking shoes/boots" means, then you are welcome to
check out REI while you're in Portland - they have a store in downtown just
a short MAX ride away from PSU, and there is no sales tax (AKA VAT) in
Oregon. ;-)