Re: [Debconf-discuss] Fwd: paypal donation cannot be used in Japan

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Michael Schultheiss
<schultmc@spi-inc.org> wrote:
> Hideki Yamane wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:15:56 -0400
>> Michael Schultheiss <schultmc@spi-inc.org> wrote:
>> > Another option would be to donate to DC13 via SPI [1]
>> >
>> > [1] http://debconf13.debconf.org/payments.xhtml
>>
>>  Thanks, is it able to be used for Monetary support from individuals
>>  campaign?
>
> I'm not familiar with the specifics of the matching program.  Brian
> Gupta (cc'd) should be able to provide details on which donations fall
> into the matching program.

We are using the CH paypal account to make accounting for the match
program simpler, and have fewer "hops" in the transaction. (Paypal
account is managed by the DC accountant in Switzerland.) However, if
we can have an easy way to track contributions to the program through
another payment method and it's not too much work for people to
combine the results, and give sponsors-team a weekly report, there
shouldn't be an issue using another payment method.

Speaking with my debconf-sponsors-team hat on (now cc'ed), we need a
way to gauge the effectiveness of our advertising for the match
program, to see if it's something we want to do in future years, so
the idea was to have a separate "match fund" donation method. If we
can track these external payments as part of the match program, that
would really be helpful.

Speaking with my sponsor hat on, I don't really care about the payment
method, and if the work required to be able to track multiple payment
streams is not overburdensome to the sponsors-team, I'd say we have no
issue with alternate payment methods.

While we are sorting this out, I'd suggest that we update the blog
post to say something to the effect of "If for some reason you can't
use Paypal and would like to participate in this matching program
please contact ..." and update it with any specifics as we make
decisions.

Thanks,
Brian