Re: [Debconf-discuss] mall run to purchase SIM cards

On 08/07/12 22:43, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 08/07/12 13:27, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
>> Since people have had mixed results getting working data SIMs, I thought I'd
>> offer to do a group purchase of movistar SIMs for people.
>>
>>    http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf12/MobilePhonesAndData
>>
>> For C$100 (~5USD), you can get a local SIM that enables you to access an
>> unlimited data plan for the price of US$1/day plus tax - and they have a
>> promotion where you get the first 5 days free.
>>
>> If you would like me to pick up a SIM for you, find me today before 7pm and
>> bring either US$5 or C$100.  If you want something other than just a data
>> plan and would like to go along to the mall, I'll be leaving at 7pm sharp
>> from hacklab 1.
>>
>> Please note the operating frequencies listed on
>> <http://debconf12.debconf.org/local-information.xhtml#phone-internet>:
>> although this is an unlimited plan and nominally provides 3G service, my
>> experience is that my phone will only talk 2G.
>>

> There are magical SMS messages that need to be sent to:
> 1) activate the SIM
> 2) activate the internet
> 3) APN settings seem to not be picked up on some Android Phones
> 4) you may need to activate international messages to re-enable
> iMessages on iPhone.
>
> Apart from that works like a charm with excellent 3G signal, good enough
> for Skype/VoIP calls over the 3G network.

The staff at the Movistar shop made a really big effort to make it work
on my Android phone, they did all the activation SMS things for me, set
up the APN, but the APN wasn't correct.

I went back to the hotel and googled the settings and found that some
things differ from what they recommend in the shop, now it works for me:

Name:
shop: internet.movistar.ni
google: NI - Movistar Web

APN:
shop and google: internet.movistar.ni

Username+password:
shop and google: movistarni / movistarni

Auth type:
shop: CHAP
google: PAP

APN type:
shop: internet.movistar.ni
google: default, supl

I am using HTC Desire Z

Also, the guy in the booth downstairs in the mall told me it is just 2MB
per day, the girl in the shop upstairs told me 7 or 8MB per day.  I have
no idea if any of these are correct.