Re: [Debconf-discuss] pictures and privacy (was: my pictures so far (including the bicyle tour))

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 03:40:06PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
>> I really would have wished that people had been much more
>> considerate about uploading other people's pictures to the public
>> Web.
>>
>> I for one do not want my pictures on the Internet.
>> I also realise that this is a fight against windmills and am rather
>> sad about that.
>
> I understand that sentiment, but it is indeed very difficult to do.
>
> Personally, I love taking pictures of people without their knowledge.
> Not because I like embarrasing people, but because in my opinion,
> portraits that are made without the subject's knowledge usually turn out
> for the best. I have a 300mm lens that allows me to take a close-up
> picture far enough away from the subject that you wouldn't be aware of
> it unless you just happen to be looking in my general direction (and
> then still), and which I have used at debconf.
>
> I also don't try to remember who likes to have their picture taken and
> who doesn't. I have tried doing so in the past, but first I'm terrible
> at remembering such things, and second trying to remember whether this
> particular person likes it or not interferes with creativity to the
> point of me not being able to take any good pictures anymore, even of
> people who I know don't mind.

Ignoring the wishes of people on the basis that your hobby is too complicated
otherwise is a little bit, erm, I dont know :-).

> That doesn't mean I don't understand your sentiment, however, and I do
> try to accomodate as much as possible:
>
> - If you ever, at any time, see me pointing a lens at you, do not
>   hesitate to ask me to see the picture. If you really, really, /really/
>   do not like it, I'll remove it from my camera, even if I think it's
>   one of the best pictures I've ever taken (though in that case, I might
>   try to reason with you first :-)
> - If you ever, at any time, see me taking pictures of people at random,
>   do not hesitate to ask me whether I've taken any of you, and if so, do
>   the above.
> - If you see a picture of you, taken by me, on some website somewhere,
>   and you'd rather it wasn't available, just tell me and I'll take it
>   down.

All of these options are opt-out and not feasable to a person without
vision.

While I know that I am deliberately playing a certain card here,
I still think it nicely demonstrates why opt-out is not the best option
here.

[debconf listserv refuses to accept mail from me, if you like, bounce
 this to the list as well.]
--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕