Re: [Debconf-discuss] Gobby vs. Etherpad?

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:03:17 +0200, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 11:08:47AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Csillag Tamas]
> > > Because as far as I see titanpad is a propriatory sw that runs on
> > > someones server. At the same time gobby is installed on debian
> > > servers so we do not rely on a 3rd party.
> >
> > You should look closer, then.  Etherpad is free software that can be
> > installed on any server.  Just use Google to find the source, if you
> > do not believe it.
> >
> > Anyone else got a good explanation why Gobby is prefered over
> > Etherpad?
>
> http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/BofHowTo#Why_not_etherpad.3F

Additional reasons:

* the infinoted server is local to our network, so if there is an
  upstream outage, we can still communicate locally
* infinoted is packaged in debian and as a result is relatively simple
  to setup and maintain
* etherpad is *not* trivial to setup, I've done it but it was a pain in
  the afro and the development is quite "balkanized" right now, so its
  not clear which was to go with it