[Debconf-discuss] "Cleaning up the /bin/sh mess" meeting

Hi,

I've already talked with a few people and a few people talked to other
people or told me to also talk to other people about this.

So is anyone interested in getting together to talk about the diversion
mess that is currently handling /bin/sh in dash and bash?

Likely talking points from my side:

1) State of the mess

2) Requirements
   - /bin/sh must allways exist, all the time
   - /bin/sh must exist even during during bootstrap.
   - /bin/sh must exist during upgardes.
   - /bin/sh must not disaper even for a mikrosecond, I MEAN IT :)
   - ??? What else is required for a solution to be acceptable?

3) Goals
   - Simpler solution. Less code is less bugs.
   - 3 (6) shells can currently be /bin/sh, diversions can only handle 2
   - not having any one shell essential (bash removable on embedded,
     dash on big systems), having only /bin/sh essential provided by any
     suitable shell
   - Other goals you have that require a different handling?

4) Solutions
   - What options are there?
   - Introduce the system-shell-<shell> solution
   - Cleaning up the current mess (probably common to all solutions)
     + What have I tried?
     + What doesn't work and why?
     + What works and how ugly is it?
     This goes away after some release cycles and would be only for
     upgrading dash/bash from an old (current stable) version.

Point 1 should be short, just a few words about what dash/bash are
currently doing. Points 2+3 might also just take a minute to assert that
there is consensus that the requirements and goals above valid and
sufficient. Might not but that would be interesting too. I think the
main point would be 4. Figuring out where we want to end up at and how
to get there.

So if you are interested please reply. We can meet on the 28. or
29. "Elsewhere" or on the 30. the "Meeting room" seems to be mostly
free.

MfG
        Goswin