Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf dress code (was: Banski Dvor do's and don'ts)

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 02:02:11PM +0200, "David Prévot" wrote:
> I'm going to buy shoes to make some of these people happy, but could you
> please elaborate: I have trouble to understand the link between respect
> and imposing some kind of dress code (e.g. I'm not used to being imposed
> such thing when I come in a museum, a chuch, or anything else for that
> matters).

I'm sure this varies around the world based on local cultural expectations, but
certainly in the US, many indoor and some outdoor places that serve the public
require shoes. Mostly this simply means 'sandals or more formal', but
definitely there are many places which would expect 'sneakers or more formal'.
Needing more formal footwear than sneakers would be unusual in a museum or
cultural center here, but many offices require that of their workers,
especially outside of technology companies.

Part of this is certainly for sanitary/hygenic/odor purposes, but it's common
to infer respect or disrespect from clothing choice. It's a much more mild
equivalent of how in a courtroom or important politician's office it would be
disrespectful to wear a t-shirt, shorts, and a baseball cap, while if you saw
the same judge or politician at the beach they wouldn't mind your outfit at all.

Question for Velimir: are casual/athletic but covered street shoes such as
sneakers or running shoes sufficient to satisfy the Banski Dvor manager, or are
formal business/dress shoes required?

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org