Re: [Debconf-discuss] Thinkpad T4x Docking Station

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:20:06PM -0400, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my Thinkpad T42 reboots instantly (with no output) when I try to boot
> the Xen hypervisor.  I thought maybe it makes sense to wire up a serial
> console, but a serial port is only available on the docking station/port
> replicator, which I do not have.
>
> Does anybody have a docking station or port replicator for a T4x or has
> another idea how to get serial console going?

You can pass an option to the booting kernel to set up a serial console,
as well as the serial port speed and stop bits.  Such as this:

   console=ttyS0,38400n8

However from here there's a snag; I don't have my port replicator with
me (and I don't think it would matter, as I think the port replicator
for the T61 is different than the T42 anyway), and the only other
option is to use a USB->serial converter.  That's something I _do_ have
with me, however at the point that the kernel is booting it likely
won't connect the USB->serial converter, so I'm not sure if you could
instead pass something like:

   console=ttyUSB0,38400n8

and actually have it work.

  -- Chris