Re: [Debconf-discuss] Ham Radio in NYC

On Friday 02 July 2010 22:46:36 John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am hoping to get my amateur radio license soon, and thought I'd bring
> a handheld along with me to Debconf.

I'm assuming you'll be bringing a 2 meter (144 MHz) handheld.  My guess is
you'll probably be too busy to use it much during the day.  I may or may not
bring a handheld 2m rig.

> Are any other hams planning to attend?  I'm going to assume that operating
> in Manhattan is substantially different from operating in Kansas; any locals
> have suggestions?

I'd say the main difference between NYC and a rural area like Kansas is
decreased range (due to buildings and multipath interference) and generally
more busy channels/repeaters due to greater population density.  There are a
bunch of good repeaters in the area, some of which have been making long-range
bi-directional VoIP links to other areas and even other countries via
Internet.  I'd suggest getting a pocket-sized Repeater Directory if you don't
own one already.  [It doesn't have to be current, they don't change often.]

If you're bringing a 2m handheld then you might also tune into the "Tech Net"
on the Limarc repeater (146.85 MHz, 136.5 PL tone, - frequency split) on
Sunday evenings 8pm - midnight.  If you want to know what they do beforehand
you can listen to and download previous shows at http://AmatuerRadio.TV.
[Amazingly, each of these individual shows are often indexed in detail for
what is discussed at what time.]

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle, KB2IQN