Re: [Debconf-discuss] GPG keysigning?

On Tue, Jun 23 2009, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

> [...]
>>       etc). There are three things needed to make this even the least bit
>>       reliable:       1) You need to trust the process of deploying
>> the thing they have;
>>          someone must establish in some manner who the person is, before
>>          the token is given out
>>       2) The token should not be easily duplicated, stolen, and
>>          reused. This requires some care on the part of the token holder
>>       3) You can actually verify that the token is genuine and decipher
>>          who the token was issued to without being spoofed.
>>    B) Something that the person is. Biometrics, etc. Again, the caveats
>>       apply about spoofing, and trusting you know what it is that the
>>       person is supposed to be (is it really Mr X's retina scan I am
>>       trying to match?)
>>    C) Something they know. Shared  secrets, passwords, knowledge of
>>       events past you and the person knows, and no one else could.
>>
>>         Madduck seems to put a whole lot of unjustified confidence in C)
>>  above.  You might think you know the person pretending to be Mr X, but
>>  really, most of us at debconf have done little to verify C to any
>>  degree of reliability. If all you can say is that person owns that
>>  email address, why are you even bothering to have a signing party? You
>>  don't need it to ascertain that a key owner controls an email address
>>  by some other persons signature; just send a encrypted message to that
>>  email address and ask for a reply. Done.
>>
>>         So, A. Now, most countries where people are allowed to come to
>>  my country from have to demonstrate a process by which they issue
>>  travel documents to their citizens, and I have established for myself
>>  that if  it meets the State departments needs, then !.1 is satisfied
>>  for me.
>>
>>         A.2 is somewhat harder, but  being careless about your travel
>>  documents has real world consequences, and most countries whose
>>  citizens can travel to mine have made travel docs hard to
>>  duplicate. Not impossible, but hard.
>>          A.3 seems to be the part which receives most criticism; I
>> can
>>  surely be spoofed by a well forged travel document. But it does raise
>>  the bar for someone who needs my signature, and I think it meets my
>>  threshold of return on effort to sign the key, and put a modicum of
>>  trust in the assertion that we have nailed that key to a real human
>>  being.
>>
>>         So while signing keys is not about governments, as Russ said, it
>>  is about establishing identity, and government issued identity
>>  documents are better proxies for establishing that than I can be
>>  bothered to do myself.
>>
>>         And, on my day job, people will fall over laughing about basing
>>  identity on what someone says often enough over a period of time with
>>  no further checks. And yes, my tummy still hurts.

> I think you miss an important item: people with the same name.  In my
> small town, I know a lot of people with same name (first and surname).
> In linux community we have three different Alax Cox.

        Right. But you never sign just a name; you sign an gpg user id,
 which is associated with an email, or a picture, and you check the
 person owns the email, right? Right?

        Me, I usually don't sign a key unless I can ensure that the
 owner of the email address knows a shared secret we shared at the
 keysigning. Admittedly, this is a minor attack vector: if Eve knows
 Alice's secret key and passphrase, has control of one of the email
 addresses, and Alice does not, then Eve will not get the new signature,
 since she does not know the secret I shared with Alice. This is
 probably not a vector worth thinking about, I might just start using
 caff instead.

> PGP identity uses normally a email like identity (name and email
> address), so your point A reduce the set of possible person that can
> misuses identity check, but ... on security terminology this is called
> false security which is normally worse than no-security (people will
> trust wrong thing).

        I fail to see this. When we sign keys, the accepted minimal
 convention is to use caff, which ensures the signature is propagated
 only if the person whose identity you verified (by whatever criteria you
 select)  owns the id; or whose real life face matches their picture
 ID.

        So no, I do not think I missed this item; I just assumed that
 everyone used a minimal email check before handing out signatures.

> Web of trust is evil! I think debian should reframe the problem and
> use GPG only for limited scopes (upload and sign), identified by key
> ID.  Debian could build an intern web of trust (checking mail and
> identity, with own extra rules).

        My goodness. These are extra rules now?

        This is dismaying, and engenders misgivings about the value of
 your signatures.

        manoj
--
"He who flames improperly risks making an ash of himself!" Jeff Klumpp
(jdk@ficc.uu.net)