Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf9 reconfirmation period started ; ends 7 June

* Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> [2009-05-25 16:02-0400]:
> Raphael Geissert dijo [Sun, May 24, 2009 at 12:59:03AM -0500]:
> > >  If you are waiting to know if you'll be granted travel sponsorship or
> > >  not, then please wait until you know for sure that you are coming
> > >  before reconfirming.  If the deadline comes and you still don't know
> > >  because of this, please send us a mail and let us know.
> >
> > When should we expect the final resolution?
> >
> > As time keeps passing by the travel fares keep going up and up, specially
> > plane tickets.
> >
> > Last email I got about the travel sponsorship was a month ago.
>
> To be honest, there is no answer. We are still a bit short on cash. I
> do expect some travel sponsorship will be possible (well, I count on
> it as well ;-) ), but frankly we do not have enough information yet.
>
> Still, we should be soon having the priorization meeting, to at least
> inform the people about their place in the travel sponsorship queue.
>
> Anyway - The usual aspect of things few months before a DebConf is
> usually the same. We are often pesimistic regarding our money status,
> but end up afloat. Still, this year's recession _is_ a strong reality
> for all of us as individuals and for our kind sponsors as companies,
> so, yes, we can expect a drop in the total money we can put our greedy
> fingers on.

Thanks for the answer Gunnar, I was also wondering about this.

The biggest problem I think is that for every day that Debconf draws
closer, the cost of airfare goes up. This is particularly true for
people who are *not* flying withing Europe (although I expect there is
an upwards trend in flight costs in Europe as well, I believe that this
curve is significantly steeper outside).

Those folks who have requested travel sponsorship are trending towards
the realization that the cost of travel that they initially put into
Penta was based on the costs that they came to after research into
flight costs many months ago and now the costs have changed
significantly since then. If you update these costs in Penta, you loose
your place, if you dont update your costs, then you may find out that
when sponsorship comes that the amount you receive is not going to be
enough in the end. So you are stuck waiting, and every day you wait the
chances grow slimmer that you will be able to go at all.

Its a tough spot for all, but having the prioritization meeting to give
people an idea would be helpful I think!

micah