Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf10 to take place in New York City, USA

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:32:13AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:14:14PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > In the US, you'd generally pay sales tax, and that's much lower than
> > European VAT. It also applies only to the final sale to the consumer and
> > not at every stage in the production process, which helps make prices
> > lower overall. In NYC the sales tax is 8.375%, and that's considered high
> > by US standards. It's indicated explicitly on the receipt, so if Europe
> > subtracts foreign consumption taxes against European VAT, you'll have the
> > numbers and proof to do that. I don't know if that applies, but that's
> > European and not US policy.
> Furthermore, sales tax is levied on a per-state (and per-county, and
> per-municipality) basis - they don't make exceptions for visitors from other
> states, and they don't make exceptions for visitors from other countries
> either.

I knew the per-state thing.  I just know that Americans (among others) can
get tax exempted here in the EU in shops participating in some tax refund
system.  I wondered if the same is possible in the US.  And no, sales tax
paid in the US will not be subtracted from VAT you need to pay at customs.[1]

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Value_Added_Tax#Importation_of_Goods
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Release Assistant