Re: [Debconf-discuss] GPG keysigning?

also sprach Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2009.06.25.0703 +0200]:
> > You are putting *way* too much weight and importance into the
> > government-issued document, and basically none into the identity of
> > the holder. Seriously: we're supposed to be certifying identities,
> > not the authenticity of a government document.
>
> I thought this was suitably rebutted years ago after the DC6
> keysigning.

I don't recall. Do you have a link to the suitable rebuttal?

> The government IDs are relevant because when we're collaborating
> on an OS where there's minimal code review of the work done by
> maintainers and a well-chosen malicious package could cause
> millions or billions of dollars in damage to our users, we[1] want
> to be able to hold someone accountable in the real world.  Not an
> "identity", but a physical person that we can prosecute and send
> to jail.

I challenged this and have not heard anything else. How exactly do
you think Debian would sue me, assuming I am in Switzerland, or
let's say Russia, Korea, or Senegal?

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>
: :'  :  DebConf orga team; press officer

don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.