Re: [Debconf-discuss] driving toward south Argentina after DebConf8: how about roads?

Hi all,
  after DebConf8 I'll have some VAC in South Argentina, heading towards
Tierra del Fuego. A possibility I'm considering is traveling a good deal
of kilometers by (rent) car.

However, I've no idea about which kinds of road can I expect driving
south. I've seen that there are a handful of highways: are they in good
shape? which average speed can I assume to travel on them? What about
the other, non-highways, roads?

If the question sound silly ... don't get me started on the situation of
highways in the south of Italy ;), the average speed there can be
*really* low.

TIA,
Cheers.

Stefano,

Well, did that trip some years ago by car. The roads are not good. The 1st part of the trip its mostly desertic and straight, quite boring, but its on asphalt. Then you have few kilometers of gravel road.

The places I would advice you to visit are: Bariloche, San Martin de los Andes, El Chalten (not so popular but I loved it), El Calafate and Ushuaia.

Also have in mind that you have 3171kms from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia and its winter, the roads might be frozen.

m*