Re: [Debconf-discuss] ThinkPad links

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:
> These are some great links (especially the last two; I knew about the hdaps
> capabilities of my ThinkPad hardware, but this is the first time I'd seen
> anything about the advanced battery capabilities!  Are there any end-user
> tools available yet to make use of the smapi battery interface?  (Or should
> I watch your talk to get the answer to this? :)

I have seen a few tools around, I believe ThinkWiki knows about most.  I
prefer the tried and true echo foo > /sys/..., though.  I have been burned
once too many by crapplets... so I don't pay much attention to them.

We really should be working on porting SMAPI to hwmon and the power_supply
class, but it is best if I don't write any direct code for tp_smapi for
reasons I am not able to disclose... and Shem has been quite busy lately.

> Also, would it be worth posting this info to a wider audience on
> debian-devel, rather than just on debconf-discuss?

I think it would be nice to engage the linux-thinkpad ML community in a
"getting started with Linux in your thinkpad" page on ThinkWiki, and then
have the URL to THAT posted to various user lists.

BTW: please join the linux-thinkpad ML, it is really a great place to
enhance your thinkpad experience :)

  Henrique Holschuh