Re: [Debconf-discuss] Last call for keys for keysigning in Edinburgh during DebConf7

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 10:39:16PM +1000, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:

>To considerably reduce the time spent checking ID documents, each
>participant will be placed in one of a number of groups after all
>the keys have been received. The groups will be organized after
>computer simulations are run to (heuristically) optimize the mean
>shortest distance (MSD) of all participants.

liw suggested a matrix idea after the ksp in Helsinki. Here is a
transcript of a conversation today about liw's idea and some
other things about the ksp.

<liw>	every year debconf keysigning reminds me that I should
	actually test in practice my matrix idea
<liw>	though I'm happy to see there's a new method attempted this
	year at debconf
<liw>	http://liw.iki.fi/liw/log/2005-Random-thought.html#20050725d
<aj>	anibal: recommending sha1 and sha256 would probably be
	better than md5/sha1
<liw>	someone should take on a project to do new mugshots this year
<anibal> aj, thanks, I'll change to sha1 and sha256 then
<dato>	liw: aigars said something on his blog about wanting to do it
<liw>	dato, good, then it's being handled
<anibal> liw, your matrix idea is equivalent to put N people in
	sqrt(N) groups
<anibal> dato, URL please :)
<liw>	anibal, that's part of it, yes
<aj>	liw: you have a typo: row where it should be column, i think
<aj>	liw: it's 2 groups per participant, with 2*sqrt(N) groups of
	sqrt(N) people, right?
<liw>	part of my vision of doing keysignings is to avoid any
	complicated procedures people need to do beforehand;
	downloading files and verifying checksums counts as tricky;
	the rows-and-columns idea is to reduce the number of
	identity checks one person needs to do (preferably to way
	under 10)
<dato>	anibal: ah, right.
	http://www.aigarius.com/blog/2007/05/31/debconf-fun-and-motivation-and-pictures/
<Rhonda> anibal: Maybe you could link to
	http://alfie.ist.org/projects/gpg-party/gpg-party
	instead of
	http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html
	in the wiki?
<Rhonda> anibal: Both for that it does use content negotiation, and
	that it doesn't have the "WORKING DRAFT" boiler plate on it.
	:)

Aníbal Monsalve Salazar
--
http://v7w.com/anibal