Re: [Debconf-discuss] wanted: dual head video cards, firewire

Hi,

> > Make sure you have already had some experience running the software to
> > be used on the dual-core machine; they'll probably suffer from
> > unsynced TSC problem, which you can currently work around by turning
> > off idling with HLT instruction or something like that.
> >

> Is this a problem too if both CPU cores are on the same chip and
> obviously run from the same clock ?

keywords: Athlon X2, RDTSC, unsynced TSC.

Apparently, HLT instruction on either core will make TSC counting to
stop for that core, which results in the perception of time between
the two cores. TSC is often used as time source for
performance-critical applications, which video is a likely candidate.

I have not yet had a direct experience with such machines.

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@{debian.org,netfort.gr.jp}   Debian Project