Re: Webcam and IM

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 19:17 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On 05-07-2005 18:40, Rob Taylor wrote:
> > I'm planning on doing some work on IM webcam stuff and RTP video
> > streaming at debconf this year. If anyone's interested, i'd appreciate
> > someone bringing another webcam for testing purposes...
>
> I brought an Apple iSight (the coolest firewire-based webcam) and a
> Logitech QuickCam Notebook Pro (A compact USB-based webcam using the
> controversial Philips pwc driver).

cool, that'll be very useful. out of interest, whats controversial?
I'd also be interested in improving the state of supported webcams in
debian.

> I believe Herman Robak has some prfessional gear as well. Perhaps the
> two of you should coordinate your work.

interesting..

> Beware that streaming out of the HUT can be trouble. I brought my
> equipment to be able to chat with my girlfriend using H.323 but
> apparently that's not an option on this otherwise extremely potent
> network :-(

well, as part of my work will be working on nat/firewall traversal, it
should prove an interesting case ;) Hopefully i'll at least be able to
get some code up and running to allow you at least a one-directional
(outgoing) conversation with your gf ;)

Rob