Re: Berlin-Helsinki by train?

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 08:50:16PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> that sounds like an worthwile adventure. Do you have information WRT how
> costy that will be, what Visa-Trouble awaits us and how you'll get back
> otherwise?

AFAIK, one needs transit visa for Belarus and a tourist visa
for Russia.  To get the first, one needs the latter, to get
the latter, one needs a tourist invitation ("visa support").
For that, our train tickets or a hotel reservation for St P
should be sufficient.  May Mr Fischer could help us :-)

For the return, I like to take the train/ferry combination
via Stockholm and Koebenhavn (~30 hours, no visa).

> I'd consider myself interested :-)

Great!  How about staying one or two nights in St P?  It's
called the Venice of the North, surely worth more than some
hours.

Cheers,
--
Wolfgang Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/