Re: Embedded Debian workshop at Debconf

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 08:34:43PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> It was suggested to me at FOSDEM that an Embedded Debian workshop/demo at
> debconf would be a good idea. I agreed. At least a couple of people have
> decided to come on the basis that such a workshop will happen, so it's time
> for me to try and make sure it does.
>
> The idea is that there will be a short session of a couple of hours which
> would be aimed at those with little or no experience of Embedded
> Development, to demonstrate how cross-compilers are used, filesystems
> assembled, downloaded into funky hardware and Linux run on them. This should
> show that Embedded development is fun and cool, and explain enough for
> people to see how it all fits together. It will necessarily
> gloass over rather a lot of details, but should inspire people enough to
> realise that hacking their router or whatever is not actually that hard.
>
> Hopefully it will also encourage people to think that Embedded Debian is a
> good idea and something to be encouraged and facilitated withing the Debian
> infrastructure.
>
> Beyond this there will be 2-3 days of Embedded Debian hacking to use the
> current basically-working tools to build working systems, and find out what
> problems remain with the current dpkg-cross/Stag based approach. This would
> be aimed at those already involved in embedded devlopment or tools and
> those who are keen to learn about this stuff. There are already 5 or 6 who
> have expressed interest - mostly already embedded developers, and one who is
> just keen to learn.
>
> An important part of this will be discussion and comparing notes with the
> Scratchbox, debian-from-scratch, Multi-arch and Debian-installer people to
> work out how the 'best' Debian cross-build and small-build system could work.
>
> I (and the organisers) would like to know how many people would be
> interested in attending such a hack-fest, and any feedback on what things
> they would particularly like to see covered both in the initial session and
> the long workshop.
>
> I can't really manage to be there all week (which is a pity as I am
> certainly going to miss some interesting and relevant stuff), so I am
> currently proposing doing this on the first 3-4 days. That is still flexible
> right now, but we need to fix a time soon, so if you are desparate to come
> but are only there the last 3 days then now is the time to say so.
>
> The organisers probably have opinions on how this will fit in with other
> events too which may also affect the timing.

Moi,

The embedded issues are interested from my point of view.

But in general, is there going to be some schedule in the web for
example to describe ongoing and forthcoming events in Debconf?

Schedule or some announcement would help people to find
interesting issues to attend.

Br,
-gnomeboy-

--
"Live your dreams, instead of dreaming about a life"