Re: Conditions for disabled persons

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 10:19:38AM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Florian Ragwitz (florian.ragwitz@s2004.tu-chemnitz.de) [050511 09:38]:
> > I recently decided that I'd like to travel to debconf5. I'd like to
> > attend there with my girlfriend who's severely handicapped (she's
> > dependent on her wheel chair). So she would like to know about the
> > conditions for her to stay there for a week. Especially she would like
> > to know about the situation of handicapped accessible toilets and stuff.
>
> Please enlighten me if i am wrong, but the handrails besides the
> toilets are for using the bathroom *allone*, right?

Right.

> There is quite a lot of space besides the toilets, so it should be
> possible to navigate a wheelchair in the toilets, but I did *not* see
> any handrails in the toilets in the dorm.

I guess the missing handrails won't be a big problem.

> Otherwise all doors are wide enough for wheelchairs and the elevator
> reaches all floors and the house was build with handicapted in mind
> (so the owner told us when we asked).

That sounds good. Thaks for those really detailed informations. I'll
talk to her tomorrow about that.

> > I also didn't find much information about requesting traveling
> > support.  Am I allowed to request it even if I'm not an official DD
> > (I'm still waiting on the DAM to check my report) and what
> > information do I need to provide for a proper request?
>
> you are a wee bit late for sponsorship requests.

Oh, I'm sorry about that. Maybe that should be stated somewhere on the
webpages.

> if you send me your travel details privately I can put you in the
> queue and you might get some money if we have some left *after* the
> conference and everything else is payed, but i would not bet on it.

Thanks for that nice offer. I'll send it to you as soon as I know
exactly how we'll get there.

Thanks,
Flo

--