Re: Conference Format

Hi

Here it's probably relevant to place myself into context:
I am really new to Debian so at this stage consider myself more of 'the public'.

My reason for involvement is that I am interested in combining hacking and biology, in the DIYBio, BioPunk sort of vibe, and I also ran TEDxCapeTown from 2011-2013 (not this year). So I think I can add value in the eventy type stuff, I'm based at UCT doing my PhD in Bioprocesss Engineering ( which equals flexible time availability and knowledge of how universities does stuff), but when I say stupid things like 'get Microsoft to sponsor DebConf', then please be gentle with your criticism - but still teach me :)

I am really passionate about getting the public more into science, hacking etc.
In TEDx we tried something called the XLab, where we had people display their stuff in ways the public could interact with it. I suggest we do something similar just before the conference, so that interested people can attend. In addition we could put a 'P' next to talks or whatever that we consider public friendly.

My suggestions for this sort of exhibition would include: (None of these have been contacted yet, but I have worked with some of them before) (also, must this go on wiki or in an email thread?)
Cheers

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 12:37 AM, Nattie Mayer-Hutchings <nattie@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 09:38:51PM +0200, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> The conference is usually about 7 days long, with ~2 talk tracks, and ~2
> BoF tracks. The first day is "Debian Day", that has talks more aimed at
> the general community, than Debian contributors, and expects to get a
> large number of visitors from the local community.

I should add that lately "Debian Day" as such has been declining; I think
the last one we really had was 2011 (though I can't speak to 2012), where we
received all manner of government dignitaries.  2013 we had as our
public-facing event the 20th birthday party for Debian.  This year,
apparently, there are meant to be individual talks which are meant for a
more general non-technical audience.

Might it be worth discussing what kind of public-facing event we want, or
whether we would want to integrate the public-y things into the conference
proper?  (I'll chime in with my own opinion later, so as to not bias the
discussion beforehand.)

-Nattie, with her longish-timeish-orga hat at a rakish angle