Sponsorships: Introduction to Georg Lerm

Hi all

I managed to catch up with Georg this week. He is very busy, but is very willing to share his knowledge and contacts with regards to (especially) local companies. We discussed that he might not want to join the mailing list yet, and that he will check out the #debconf16-capetown irc chats for October to check things out first. After October we can discuss how much he wants to be involved.

Georg's passions are medical imaging and flying model aeroplanes. He has been involved with ArduinoCT for a bit. He also spent about three hours explaining ins and outs and acronyms around Debian, for which I am eternally grateful, and he made an account for me on his Quassel server, which hopefully means I can enjoy the IRC chats on my phone soon (no luck so far though).

Georg, the team so far: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/Bids/Cape_Town#Local_team

So far our sponsorship chats were very informal, we thought GE may be a good potential sponsor as they run Linux-based medical stuff.
Siemens was my idea (they do water-related monitoring systems and I found them interesting), but they seem to be in flux and not very reliable.

We also discussed that there may be three sponsor groups who will need different approaches (I may be misremembering this a bit...):
  1. In kind sponsors who are not directly Debian related (venues etc)
  2. In-kind or small cash sponsors who are Debian-related, e.g. Communica ... ??? - This is where Georg's input would be very valuable
  3. 'Large' cash sponsors who may/may not be Debian-related, e.g. SABMiller... ??? - this is where I would like to see what sort of attractive packages we can shape to snag some new blood. But it's still early days, haven't wrapped my head around it yet.
regards