Re: (Off-topic-ish) Openness... UCT vs Stellenbosch ... and google.

On 09/15/2014 06:11 AM, Bernelle Verster wrote:

> I admit this may be a bit of a trolling exercise, perhaps, but after the
> entertainment around google this morning and then encountering this in a
> teaching course I'm doing on the same day, I couldn't resist. :)

Sorry for that. We are a diverse community with diverse views, and
sometimes express them a little too strongly. Don't take it too harshly,
madduck will gladly buy you a beer in Cape Town. :)

> Apparently, UCT and Stellenbosch - which STIAS is linked to - have
> widely divergent thoughts on open access and copyrights.

All other things being equal, yes, we'd favor a venue that is more
closely aligned with our values. But, we have to weigh a lot of factors
in venue selection, including price, location, adequate facilities and
housing, etc, etc.

And, don't forget that one of the great traditions of DebConf is to act
as an advocate and catalyst for greater understanding of free software
and broader freedoms in every host city and venue we occupy. So, there's
some case to be made for preferring the venue where we can have the
greatest educational impact.

Allison