[Debconf-announce] DebConf event sign-ups: Cheese & Wine, Day Trip

Hi folks,

DebConf14 is fast approaching, and as we get nearer to the date where we
will welcome you all to Portland, Oregon, the finer details start to come
into focus.

We have two events during the week which are DebConf traditions, that we
need you to sign up for *before* arriving at DebConf.

= Cheese and Wine =

First is the traditional cheese & wine party, which will be held the evening
of Monday, August 25th from 7pm to 11:30pm.  Hosting this classic DebConf
event is a challenge in the US, but thanks to one of our generous sponsors,
Puppet Labs, we're able to make it happen again!  The only wrinkle is that,
due to the nature of the event and the venue, you will need to RSVP in
advance.

To sign up for the Cheese and Wine party, tick the "Attend Cheese & Wine
Party" box on the registration form (and then click submit ;):

    https://summit.debconf.org/debconf14/registration/

The deadline for sign-up for the Cheese and Wine party is Wednesday, August
20.

In order to ensure that events they host are safe and fun for everyone,
Puppet Labs requires attendees to agree to a simple code of conduct as a
condition of attending.

    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/community/community_guidelines.html#event-code-of-conduct

We know of course that we can rely on our Debian community to treat others
respectfully, but just to make sure this is clear to everybody, the DebConf
team has published a Code of Conduct of its own which is in effect at all
times during the conference.

    http://debconf.org/codeofconduct.shtml

Please also be aware that the legal drinking age in Oregon is 21, which is
strictly enforced.  While attendees of all ages are welcome at this event,
you must be 21 years or older to participate in the wine tasting.  In order
to ensure you will be able to participate, please bring your ID with you to
the event.  (And feel free to use it for keysigning while there!)

= Day Trip =

Second is the all-important Day Trip - an opportunity for our attendees to
decompress, stretch their limbs, and spend time together for a day /without/
computers.

This year the Day Trip is set for Wednesday, August 27, and will involve a
bus ride into the beautiful Columbia River Gorge.
You can read more details about this trip in the DebConf wiki:

    https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/DayTrip

If you want to attend this day trip, make sure that you have selected the
"Participate in Day Trip" option, which you can also find on your
registration page.

    https://summit.debconf.org/debconf14/registration/

The deadline for sign-up for this Day Trip is Thursday, August 21.
Similar to last year, one of the options for the day trip is a hike.  Space
is limited for this organized hike; if you would like to go on the hike,
then *in addition to* saying yes to the day trip on your registration page,
you must also add yourself to the sign-up sheet in the wiki page.

    https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/DayTrip/Hike

Sign-up for the hike is first-come, first-serve, so if you want to attend,
save your seat now.

And if you have specific handicap or accessibility requirements, you must
inform the registration team no later than August 18 by contacting
registration@debconf.org.

= Arrival times =

The conference registration system lets you indicate the time of your
arrival, in addition to the date.  Knowing your precise arrival time at the
conference / at the PSU dorms will help us prepare appropriately for your
arrival.  The URL for conference registration, again, is:

    https://summit.debconf.org/debconf14/registration/

Please consider letting us know what time you expect to arrive.  If you are
arriving by way of Portland International Airport, a good rule of thumb is
to assume 2 hours from your plane's arrival to your arrival at PSU.

Note to sponsored attendees: on the arrival day (Friday, August 22),
check-in begins at 2pm.  As a result, there is no sponsored lunch on this
day; the first sponsored meal is dinner.

For more information on getting to DebConf from the airport, and for other
practical information about your arrival at DebConf, see

    https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/Welcome

And if you have any other questions, feel free to ask by writing to
debconf-discuss@lists.debconf.org (public list) or to
registration@debconf.org.

See you in Porland,
--