Re: Spare Tables error on format

Hi,

Listas Canal wrote:
> I have 2 BD-RE and 1 DVD-RW, yes you have 1 more :))

But sr4 is drive number 5. And i have a sr5.

0  -dev '/dev/sr0' rwrw-- :  'HL-DT-ST' 'BDDVDRW GGC-H20L'
1  -dev '/dev/sr1' rwrw-- :  'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GH24NSC0'
2  -dev '/dev/sr2' rwrw-- :  'HL-DT-ST' 'BD-RE GGW-H20L'
3  -dev '/dev/sr3' rwrw-- :  'Optiarc ' 'BD RW BD-5300S'
4  -dev '/dev/sr4' rwrw-- :  'ASUS    ' 'BW-16D1HT'
5  -dev '/dev/sr5' rwrw-- :  'HL-DT-ST' 'BD-RE BH16NS40'

> >  Media summary: 610 sessions, 9060897 data blocks, 17.3g data, 5894m free

> Did you recycle the one on the shelf when another 2 or more came?

No. I still have them since i began using that scheme in 2010.
Above backup has compression by zisofs and thus produces quite small
sessions.
In the beginning i used BD-R for it, but even the nicest burners refuse
to burn more than about 300 session to them. With BD-RE there is no need
for the drive to maintain an own table-of-content. It sees only one big
track. So the chain of ISO 9660 sessions can get as long as the medium
has capacity.

> I hope BD-RE also has the
> same durability or more for confidential data that grows from year to year.

I recently performed BD-R tests by copying BD-REs of 2010, made by the
GGW-H20L. (That old burner does not accept any contemporary BD-R for
burning but still does bulk BD-RE backups for me with its sensational 2.3x
speed.)
Half of the copied BD-REs later turned out to be unreliable for writing.
So my hope for a big recycling outcome was disappointed.
But before that they all were readable and passed their MD5 content checks.

On the other hand i have BD-RE from 2008 which get overwritten once every
half year.

> > (You could insert a command spy in method Scsi_Command.transport()
> >  of the file transport.hxx. The diff between original and spying version
> >  of transport.hxx has 179 lines. Ask me if you want to have it.)

> Yes please, if you can share it as an attachment.

I'm not sure whether this list takes attachments. So i will try by a
separate mail.