Re: Can Bluray Players see ISO9660 Filesystems?

> On Sun, Feb 02, 2020 at 12:36:56AM -0500, Roger wrote:
>Can bluray players view ISO9660 filesystems?
>
>Suggestions feedback for creating/backing-up photos/video to BDR with TV Bluray
>player hardware support?
>
>(Note, I'm not concerned about creating an auto menu play system, etc, just for
>file viewing.)

Here's an initial follow-up from my brief experience with recently purchasing
TV Bluray players and attempting to play (after-market) standalone video
streams recorded onto optical BD-R/DVD+R or USB flash media.

The Philips BDP1502 player refused to see anything other than AVCHD formated
video on both Optical and USB methods, whether UDF or FAT32 formated, and tried
using upper and lower case letters.  I tried file suffixes *.ts, *.mts, and
*.m2ts for kicks.  Philip's manual states the player plays video formats "H264,
MPEG2, AVCHD"; however I think they're citing Blu-ray Movie related separate
media streams and not the combined audio/video after-market video streams.  The
graphical interface provides a hint upon mouse-over of "Optical/VIDEO" ->
"AVCHD" "USB/VIDEO" -> "AVCHD".  For those without knowledge of AVCHD, it is a
folder/file structure similar to Blu-ray folder/file structures, or AVCHD is
typically only used by camcorders, not readily end-user usable format.

A good tip or hint as to deciding whether a Blu-ray player will play certain
media, examine the PDF user manuals.  LG's Blu-ray user manuals seem to be
worded similar to the Philips Blu-ray player user manual, having omissions and
vagueness when trying to ascertain the ability of playback for standalone
video.

Sony's well worded user manuals seemed to explicitly state their Blu-ray
player(s) (eg. BDP-S1700/3700) will playback standalone media recorded to
end-user optical or USB flash media, or to the extent of documenting many
common nowadays supported after-market/end-user codecs.  Sony's Blu-rays also
playback DSD video streams.  Their Bluray players do recognize/play both *.ts
and *.mts files types, or their manual cites likely ignoring suffixes and
attempt to read the file contents.  Most manufacturer users manuals more
commonly document *.mts rather than the *.ts file suffix.  FFMpeg created *.ts
and *.mts streams are identical (eg. diff), so I'll likely rename to the *.mts
suffix when I check Hauppauge recorded TS streams using FFMpeg.  (eg. ffmpeg -i
input.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mts)

If you're reading this thread for an answer, buy a Sony Blu-ray player for
compatibility as the Sony players only require recording a compatible video
stream into the root folder of optical or USB flash media.

Although slightly off-topic, I do not like the wireless versions nor having the
streaming options.  I wish there were an option for turning-off all the
undesirable features; for having the unit act as a standard Blu-ray/DVD player
rather than a Roku streaming device.

My work-flow:

Streams created with Hauppauge ATSC TV PCIe card (WinTV-HVR-2250) and recording
to DVD+R/BD-R media.

Verify the created transport stream conforms to some standard, with fixed/omit
packets.
$ ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mts

Record to DVD+R/BD-R optical media.
$ growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=1 -Z /dev/sr0 -J -iso-level 3 -no-bak -rock -udf -V "TITLE_NAME" ./*.mts

NOTE: The "-UDF"/"-udf" mkisofs option adds 505,856KB to a 21GB image having a
root folder with four file names.

TIP: Probably a good idea to ensure any recorded stream is meeting (FFMpeg's)
standards by performing a stream copy, whether or not the stream is of the same
container type or file suffix.  (eg.  FFMpeg "-vcodec copy -acodec copy").  I
find some stream errors or packet errors when running Hauppauge's or
over-the-air ATSC TS streams through FFMPEG, of which will prevent playback on
TV Bluray players as well as preventing some software tools from
reading/playing.  (FFMpeg is the swiss pocket knife of the audio/video
streaming world.)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.sdf.org/