Re: BD-RE DL write failures

Hi,

> The media was labeled "for Video".  So I found some Maxell that was
> labeled "for Data"

If those "for Video" were more expensive than the others, then you probably
paid royalties to the movie industry. We had such a situation with special
CD-R media for audio recording. Some living room CD recorders did not accept
the less expensive normal CD-R.

In general, there is no difference in BD and DVD recording between video
and data. It's just a matter of filesystem (video prescribes UDF),
particular files, and possibly cryptographic information for content
authentication.

Other than with DVD+R DL, it is not possible to chose the layer jump
address with multi-layer BD-R[E]. Afaik, there is few way to distinguish
a single layer BD-RE from a dual layer BD-RE other than by their size.
So i would not expect that the dual layer BD-RE need any extra treatment.

> Two have worked very well every time
> for my 26 GByte tar file.  The other three discs have the same issue as
> the earlier media.
> Any suggestion on how to get a reliable burn?

What's the symptoms exactly ?
What messages do you get from xorriso ?

Preliminary thoughts. They might become useless when more info arrives.

> /usr/bin/xorriso -stream_recording on

Did you try with -stream_recording "off" ?
That will be darn slow. If it clonks and goes to 0.0x speed with only
a 0.1x every fifth pacifier messages, then Spare Area blocks get
employed. (Normally you get a medium error some time later.)

> -speed "-1"

That's equivalent to -speed "min". Just for the records.

> I also added the -speed "-1" option to attempt to
> lower the write speed but it did not have any effect

BD-RE as overwritable media do not offer much choice of write speed and
normally do not obey write speed settings, especially if you mark the
data as urgent-to-write by -stream_recording "on".